Show’s About To Start…
I always intended for this blog to function as a mini-magazine and as such, I figured I should have a plan of attack. The titles in this proposed project slate are arranged in no particular order but they serve as a blueprint for words to come. In essence, you can expect a sample platter of literature, travel, photography, film, fashion, and music. Below, I divulge a bite-sized sneak peek of each of these articles. Enjoy!
1. A READING LIST In which I share a list of books that are currently sitting on the shelves of my modest little library. Also, let’s talk about the importance of reading, shall we? Not in lofty terms but rather, in more practical ones. There are certain books that have altered the way I see life, the way I operate, the way I relate to people. It’s astonishing to think that an artifact you can hold with one hand can change the way you live. I’d love to hear which authors have pitched in on your story.
2. A MONTH IN FILMS In which I devise a schedule of films you should watch because life will feel all the more complete if you do. A little Truffaut, a lot of Godard, some Jean Pierre Jeunet, Fellini, and Wes Anderson (for now). You’ll be amazed at how your perspective on things changes as you start to build a bank of images from these films. You start to catch nuances and poignancy in every day moments. Wait and see.
3. FAVORITE PHOTOGRAPHERS In which I share a list of some of my favorite photographers (hello, Annie!) as well as some good books to check out on their work. There’s nothing like sifting through a book of large print photographs, trust me.
4. FASHION IN MOTION In which I share the behind the scenes fashion films I shot during my internships for Civil Society Clothing and Asami Zenri Photography in LA. General commentary on fashion, the LA industry, and future plans peppered throughout.
5. POSTCARDS FROM EUROPE In which I share portraits I took during my recent travels to Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and Austria. Although these might be mere Iphone snaps, there is an unmistakeable dash of magic to each, I promise. Accompanied by a side of historical facts, traveler’s anecdotes, and general musings about the importance of culture.
6. THE INSIGHTERS In which I talk about an up and coming Mexican magazine that recently featured some of my work. They’ve got a great community over at The Insighters and they’re all about supporting up and comers. True darlings.
7. HOW FILMS ARE MADE: PT II In which I share what life as a film student is really like. It will be a curation of sketches, script excerpts, mood boards, screenshots, portraits, memos, story boards, shooting schedules, doodles, notes, and production photographs from the first film I ever produced and directed. These documents from CHECKMATE will illustrate the trials and tribulations that characterize the student production and will hopefully prove insightful to those with an interest in independent filmmaking.
8. WORDS TODAY In which I discuss a book I am currently reading. Perhaps a word here and there about who I would cast if I were adapting it into a movie and whether or not it would work as a fashion commercial.
9. A WORD FROM YOUR SPONSORS In which I interview myself so we can get to know each other a little better. Sample questions might be somewhere in the rage of: Which Harry Potter House do you belong to? When and why did you start drinking coffee? Why do you think Bavaria is so magical? When did you first start listening to Glenn Miller? Why did it take you almost 4 months to finish that book on the Hollywood studio system? Why are you a fan of FC Bayern Munich? How come you’d rather drive a stick shift and not an automatic? Why are you so bad at golf? and, Based on what have you named the cars you’ve owned? You know, just a potpourri of pertinent inquiries.
10. TUMBLING DOWN In which I share a curation of greatest hits from my Tumblr blog. There’s a lot to be said about Tumblr and what I deem “aspirational technology”. How does it affect the person you were, currently are, and aspire to be? Is a collection of images powerful enough to shape the way you think and act? Does your Tumblr reflect who you really are or who you’re dying to be? And lastly, let’s talk psychology. How are you affected by the images you feed yourself everyday? This and more coming soon.
11. WALL OF CLIPPINGS In which I share my newest inspiration collage once I touch base at my new apartment in the city of Angels. My last collage was comprised of archaeology, PT Anderson, classic VOGUE photographs, 1920’s bootleggers, and film strips. The forecast for this upcoming one is moodier, more simple. Perhaps a collection of black and whites. Remains to be seen.
12. TFT TUNES In which I share my Spotify playlist du jour and address its contents. I usually categorize my music based on moods and activities. Chill, Soulful, Photo Shoot, Brunch, Insomnia, Editing, Party, and Travel are all existing playlists on my Spotify account. I’ll also be looking forward to your suggestions! There’s nothing quite like finding a new favorite artist. I’m currently in my Shemekia Copeland phase.
13. BLOG ON BLOGGING In which I share what goes into putting a blog together (you know what I’m talking about). From comprising endless lists to doing graphic design and branding, blogging is quite the discipline. Hopefully this post will prove useful to aspiring ‘ggers but hopefully it also functions as a marketplace for ideas. Let’s talk about how you, and you, and you blog! We’ve got a supportive community here; it’s a beautiful thing.
That’s all I’ve got for now; I hope this project slate piques your interest. Now, I must leave you to get cracking on these posts. Happy Tuesday!